Walker Charcoal Kiln

Walker Charcoal Kiln

According to a sign at the site, Jake and Joe Carmichael built the Walker charcoal kiln around 1880 to convert oak wood into charcoal, which gives about twice the heat of unprocessed wood. It was possible to get about 40 bushels of charcoal from a cord of wood. The charcoal was used in nearby smelters as a chemical-reducing agent to extract silver from its ore. This charcoal kiln was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. We walked about 0.2 of mile on Charcoal Kiln Road to Charcoal Kiln Trail #303 which is at an elevation of 6,300 feet. The trail is only 0.1 of a mile, but leads to this interesting historical site. At one time Walker was a bustling place for gold and silver mining. Now the area has mainly summer cottages, although some of these “cottages” look more like mansions. The Walker charcoal kiln is an interesting destination for one of this year’s “Take a Hike!”

Advertisements